Dr. Campbell says, "At the beginning of my career, I would have never guessed food is so closely related to health problems. For years, I ate what everyone else did. We all eat what is tasty or convenient or what our parents taught us to prefer. Most of us live within cultural boundaries that define our food preferences and habits. So it was with me.
I was raised on a dairy farm, where we produced most of our own food and milk was central to our existence. I was the first in my family to go to college. Much of my early career was devoted to promoting better health by advocating the consumption of more meat, milk, and eggs. I was happy to believe that the American diet was the best in the world.
Early in my career, I worked on a nationwide project in the Philippines, to improve childhood malnutrition among the poor. The aim of these efforts was simple: make sure children were getting as much protein as possible. In this project, however, I uncovered a dark secret: The children who ate the highest-protein diets were the ones most likely to get liver cancer.
This information countered everything that I had been taught. It was heretical to say that protein wasn't healthy, let alone say it promoted cancer. It was a defining moment in my career. Faced with a difficult decision, I decided to start an in-depth laboratory program that would investigate the role of nutrition, especially protein, in the development of cancer."
And that's how I started. I've been in 'The System' for almost fifty years, at the very highest levels. I now understand why Americans are confused. Many of the things that you've been told about food, health and disease are wrong:
- The United States spends one out of every seven dollars the economy produces on health care
- Consuming dairy foods can increase the risk of prostate cancer
- Antioxidants, found in fruits and vegetables, are linked to better mental health in old age
- Kidney stones can be prevented by a healthy diet
- Type I diabetes is convincingly linked to infant feeding practices
- A whole foods, plant-based diet will help you quickly lose weight and have long-term health
- A good diet is the most powerful weapon we have against disease and sickness
- What you don't know and understand about nutrition can hurt you
"I will not ask you to believe conclusions based on my personal observations, as some popular authors do. There are over 750 references in this book, and the vast majority of them are primary sources of information, including hundreds of scientific publications from other researchers that point the way to less cancer, heart disease, fewer strokes, less obesity, diabetes, autoimmune disease, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's, kidney stones and less blindness."
The True Answer to Cancer
- One in three people will be diagnosed with cancer within their lifetime
- A protein intake of no more than ten percent of your total calories decreases your risk of developing cancer cells, even when exposed to high levels of carcinogens (cancer causing agents)
- Plant foods, organically grown, unprocessed, eaten when fresh and in large amounts is the best guarantee you have for total health and freedom from all diseases - green and yellow foods decrease cancer cell growth
- A high fiber diet (a clean colon) is essential for healthy, disease-free cells
- Without a doubt, animal foods in large amounts shortens your life
- Sugar causes cancer cells to multiply
The Facts about Heart Disease in America
- Heart disease will kill one out of every three Americans and has been the number one killer since 1900
- Nearly one million Americans die annually of heart disease
- All new medical procedures have not lowered death rates - but have increased medical costs
- Heart disease causes 40% of all deaths in America and 3000 Americans die of it every 24 hours
- Physician's services totaled 78 billion dollars in 2002 - not counting drugs, home health and nursing care
- Your doctor most likely has not studied nutrition - only 6% of medical students receive any nutritional training
Medically Proven Facts for Healing Sick Hearts
- Heart disease can be prevented and cured by diet alone - a plant based, whole food diet is the answer
- Doctors at The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio successfully treat heart disease with whole-foods from plants
- Blood cholesterol is an accurate biomarker for heart disease and levels above 185 mg/dl increase your chances for it
- A cholesterol level of 150 mg/dl or less assures a zero chance of heart disease
- Animal foods above 10% of total calories increase risk of heart disease - that's no more than 200 calories a day
- Meat, milk, eggs and cheese supply cholesterol; vegetables, fruits, grains, beans, and nuts do not
- Dairy products give adults heart disease and children juvenile diabetes
- Eating salmon or other fish that have scales and fins reduces ischemic stroke in men
- Omega 3 and 6 oils may reduce heart disease - flax seed oil and olive oil are excellent sources
- Complications of a $50,000 by-pass surgery are heart attack, respiratory problems, bleeding, infection, high blood pressure, stroke, loss of libido, loss of cognitive function and more
- Within 10 years of a by-pass operation, 50% of patients will die; within 3 years, one-third will have chest pain again
- One out of thirteen Americans has diabetes and it continues to rise - obesity is almost always a factor
- Diabetes usually comes to adults around 40 years of age
- Recently, adult diabetes has been found in young people in 45% of the cases
- Juvenile diabetes is caused by children drinking cow's milk
- Modern drugs and surgery offer no cure for diabetes - they treat the symptoms, not the causes
- Diabetes in the United States is big business - about $30 billion a year
- The right diet both prevents and treats diabetes
- A plant-based diet decreases deaths from diabetes drastically (20.4 to 2.9 per 100,000)
- Lower animal protein diets result in lower incidence of diabetes
- Western-type diets are strongly associated with diabetes
- Whole-plant based diets prevent diabetes and animal-based diets result in high incidences of diabetes
- Type I diabetics were able to lower their insulin shots by 40% in three weeks by eating a vegetable diet.
- Cholesterol levels dropped by 30% - decreasing the likelihood of heart disease and stroke.
- Type II diabetes fared even better, with 24 out of 25 patients being able to discontinue their insulin intake in a matter of weeks.