There are over two hundred viruses that cause the flu. They spread due to coughing, sneezing and personal contact. Keep yourself safe by staying away from those who are sick and do your best to cover up.
Following are five tips to help you avoid the flu:
- Wash your hands - It's important to wash your hands after interactions with other people that could be sick. It can go a long way in making sure you're not stuck in bed with a fever.
- Wipe down your phones and computer - When was the last time you cleaned your phone and keyboard? These things are used often and never cleaned. Take a few minutes to clean these items to avoid unnecessary germs.
- Eat Healthy - Things like chips and soft drinks will not protect you against the flu. Your body needs vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables fight the flu. Avoiding sugar will help too.
- Don't get a flu shot - It's a crap shoot. Every year the flu is caused by several hundred different agents, with a vaccine against just one or two of them. You're rolling the dice and hoping there's a match between the flu shot you get and the season's flu strain.
- Get some sleep - During flu season, it is critical to staying healthy and feeling good on a daily basis. Try getting at least eight to ten hours of sleep every night.
By following these common sense tips, you'll be doing everything you can to protect you and your family this season from getting the flu.