Experts estimate only one in five youths consume the minimum five servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
In addition, sixteen percent of youth do not meet any of the recommendations outlined in the standard food guide pyramid. Consumers of all ages are being urged to increase their intake of leafy green vegetables.1
BarleyLife® is a convenient way to make sure you receive the necessary vitamins and minerals. The leaves of the green barley plant are bursting with important vitamins, minerals, enzymes, chlorophyll and antioxidants (cancer fighters) that are naturally occurring and balanced by nature. Nearly everyone, adults and children, can benefit from BarleyLife®.
Rich In Vitamins A and B
Beta-carotene is a precursor for vitamin A and the beta-carotene content found in BarleyLife® is substantial. Just one serving of BarleyLife® provides nearly two times the amount of beta-carotene found in raw carrots and eight times that found in raw broccoli.
Vitamin A is essential for good eye health, as well as cardiovascular and immuno health. Vitamin A in its natural form as beta-carotene is especially desirable for its antioxidant properties, since it helps to prevent harmful free radical damage in the body.
BarleyLife® also contains the following B-complex vitamins:
- Folate: Helps to produce and maintain new cells and is also essential for normal levels of homocysteine. (Elevated homocysteine levels have been associated with increased risk of coronary events.)
- Riboflavin: Important for energy metabolism as well as normal eyesight and healthy skin.
- Niacin: Critical to more than 50 metabolic functions, including the formation of red blood cells, and for supplying energy to and maintaining the integrity of all body cells.
- Vitamin B6: Important in protein metabolism, B6 provides the mechanism for the many amino acid reactions within the body; it readily mobilizes glycogen for the body’s energy supply when needed.
Increasing Importance of Vitamin K
Often overlooked in the vitamin or supplement aisle is vitamin K (also known by the scientific name, phylloquinone). Increasing evidence now shows diets containing ample amounts of vitamin K may help to ensure adequate bone density and protect against osteoporosis as well as hip fracture in postmenopausal women. Vitamin K also plays a key role in fetal development and is needed to maintain proper blood clotting.
In 2003, a Tufts University researcher published a detailed profile of vitamin K, by asking some critical questions about the association between dietary vitamin K intake and bone mineral density. The results showed that the vitamin K concentration in most foods is very low2. Many adults aged 18 to 44 may be getting far less vitamin K than they need3 to protect against osteoporosis and hip fracture.
A typical serving of BarleyLife® offers an abundant source of vitamin K, containing 100% of the recommended daily amount. However, those who take blood-thinning medications such as Coumadin® should exercise caution, since vitamin K supplementation can impact the effectiveness of such medications.
As with any dietary supplement, it is best to consult with your health care practitioner when adding something new to your daily regimen.
Minerals Essential To Good Health
Excellent mineral content is another reason to consider BarleyLife®. A serving provides considerable amounts of:
- Potassium: Necessary to maintain water balance and cellular integrity
- Phosphorous: For the structural component of all cells and to activate the B vitamins
- Manganese: For energy production and also to enhance the antioxidant defense system, by increasing concentrations of the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD)
- Magnesium: A major mineral to improve blood lipid levels, increase energy production and synthesize proteins
- Chromium: A critical component of the glucose tolerance factor; required for normal carbohydrate metabolism
- Iron: For oxygen supply to the cells as well as to maintain immuno health
- Calcium: For the structural integrity of bones and skeletal tissue; to promote nerve transmission and other important functions within the blood, muscle and fluids of healthy cells and tissue.4
In our fast-paced world, eating a balanced diet can be quite a challenge for the majority of kids and adults. BarleyLife® is a quick and easy way to help solve that problem. To learn more, Click Here.