The Science of BarleyLife® Xtra
SORAC stands for SuperOxide Radical Scavenging Capacity, which means how well a certain food helps your body fight sicknesses like cancer and heart disease.
The higher the SORAC value of a food, the more power it has to fight disease and slow down the aging process.
The young barley plants are extremely high in SORAC values. They're full of phytochemicals (plant medicines), chlorophyll (healer of sick cells) and antioxidants (cancer fighters).
Both BarleyLife® and BarleyLife® Xtra are made from young barley grass plants, which researchers have found to be one of the richest sources of nutrition on earth.
In BarleyLife® Xtra, the "Xtra" includes eighteen fruits and vegetables and more.
The fruits in BarleyLife® Xtra are all packed with antioxidants (cancer fighters) known to boost the immune system, improve vision and circulation, counteract inflammation without causing internal bleeding, help prevent cancer, control diabetes and help memory as well as motor skills.
The vegetables in BarleyLife® Xtra are known to help in the prevention of disorders such as cancer and heart disease, reduce the accumulation of fat in the heart blood vessels (which decreases the risk of stroke), reduce cell damage, reduce the level of bad cholesterol and more.
BarleyLife® is made from young barley plants. For over thirty years, researchers have found young barley plants to be one of the richest sources of nutrition on earth.
The young barley leaves in BarleyLife® have been known to:
- stimulate repair of the DNA molecule
- have strong anti-inflammatory qualities
- reduce hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels in the blood)
- result in an anti-ulcer effect
- have components in barley leaf extracts which de-activate mutagenic and carcinogenic substances
- have an enzyme called SOD, which is an extremely powerful 'anti-aging' antioxidant, an anti-inflammatory enzyme and cancer preventive enzyme
- have another powerful antioxidant, 2′-0-GlV, more effective than vitamin E
- have components in barley leaf extracts which were very effective in lowering the blood sugar levels in high blood sugar mice
- have substances which help to inhibit platelet activating factor (promotes blood clotting and more)
- have substances which protect the blood vessels from damage
- improve or modulate Prolactin and growth hormone
- barley juice degrades a variety of pesticides - detoxification implications
- five enzymes were found that help the decomposition of fats in the body proceed smoothly, which helps to promote correct body weight
- an enzyme called P4D1, isolated in a laboratory in California in the 1980's in barley juice. P4D1 was found to do two things in the human body. It is the first known substance to actually stimulate repair of the DNA molecule. It is possible that disease cells can be repaired with P4D1, so that when they reproduce they will actually produce good cells. P4D1 has also been shown in laboratory tests to eat the protein sheath off a cancer cell, so that the white blood cells can attack and destroy them
- 1983 - successfully isolated a protein in barley leaf extract with strong anti-inflammatory qualities
- 1985 - discovery of substances in barley leaf extract that reduced hypercholesterolemia (high cholesterol levels in the blood) and substances that resulted in an anti-ulcer effect
- 1985 - successfully identified the presence of some components in barley leaf extract which de-activate mutagenic and carcinogenic substances
- SOD or superoxide dismutase has been isolated, which is an extremely powerful 'anti-aging' antioxidant. The aging process has been directly linked to decreasing amounts of SOD in our system. Increased amounts of SOD causes our body to repair itself quicker. Additionally SOD acts as an anti inflammatory enzyme and cancer preventive enzyme. BarleyLife® is rich in SOD - one of the richest sources available. SOD converts a harmful substance, called superoxide, into water and oxygen, making it completely harmless
- Peroxidase (enzymes found in plants) was isolated, which actually breaks down and neutralizes Try-P1 and P2 a carcinogen in grilled meat and fish and 3-4benzypyrene, another carcinogen in tobacco. Observed water soluble components in barley leaf extract, which were very effective in lowering the blood sugar levels in high blood sugar mice. Benefit diabetics and hypoglycemics
- A George Washington University study reported on the important substances found in barley leaf extract, which helps to inhibit platelet activating factor and protects the blood vessels from damage. These substances are even effective throughout the micro-circulatory system, protecting the smallest vessels from damage
- In 1994, at George Washington University, a Vitamin E succinate was identified. This was shown to improve or modulate Prolactin and growth hormone. Prolactin is vital to breast feeding mothers. Breast feeding mothers should benefit from taking barley juice. Growth hormone will benefit children and those that are overweight. This has implications in helping to improve immunological functions and slowing down the process of aging.
- University of California, Davis looked at the potential for barley leaf extract to degrade a common insect pesticide, malathion, in vitro (Latin for 'within glass'). Six different experiments where performed to measure the ability of barley leaf extract to "detoxify" this pesticide. Every one of the studies revealed very positive results. This study showed that barley leaf extract may provide a cleansing or detoxifying benefit when pesticide accumulation has occurred in the body. (The article can be found in Volume 79, Issue 10, 1999, pages 1311-1314 of Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture.)
- University of California, Davis also successfully identified a new substance in barley leaf extract which contains very impressive antioxidant properties. This substance is called 2′-O-Glycosylisovitexin. They have been able to demonstrate that it is more effective as an antioxidant (cancer fighter) than beta carotene or vitamin E.
- University of California, Davis successfully identified several of the characteristics of 2′-0-Glycosylisovitexin. They have now confirmed that it is water soluble substance, it is stable, both in high temperatures and within a wide range of pH. It is also very effective as an antioxidant (cancer fighter) in lipid peroxidation caused by ultra violet irradiation. This confirms our earlier hypotheses that 2′-0-GIV may play a preventative role in aging, mutagenesis, carcinogenesis and radiation damage.
- It is also interesting to note the majority of green products available for purchase today do not contain active 2′-0-GIV.
- There have been a lot of anecdotal reports where children and overweight people benefited from barley juice. Fatty Acid Oxidase, cytochrome oxidase, peroxidase, Catalase and Transhydrogenase are enzymes found in barley juice that help decompose fats in the body, which also helps to promote correct body weight. Without these enzymes, weight gain results.
- "People suffering from fatigue, hypoglycemia or degenerative diseases should find time or find someone to make the raw green drink as nothing, truly substitutes for the fresh, raw chlorophyll to ease pain and aid in cell building." - Willa Vae Bowles, a leading nutritionist
- "Drinking lots of chlorophyll-rich juice is somewhat like getting a natural blood transfusion. It flushes the lymph system, nourishes and oxygenates the vascular system, cleanses the intestines, and is healing and soothing to all mucous membranes." - Steve Meyerowitz
- "High chlorophyll foods are excellent oxygen transporters, so including super foods like wheat grass and barley grass juice can help us think more clearly. Other high chlorophyll foods include the leafy greens such as kale, collards and beet greens." - Brigitte Mars
Chlorophyll (healer of sick cells) is nature's most health-promoting nutrient. Here are a few of the things it does best:
- A powerful detoxifying agent for the liver
- Removes carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide
- A strong internal deodorizer for the entire digestive tract
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Cuts excess cholesterol, triglycerides and other blood lipids (fats)
- Has antioxidant properties
- Nearly identical chemical structure to hemoglobin, the body's critical oxygen and iron-carrying blood protein; stimulates hemoglobin production, which oxygenates and energizes the entire body.
- Has wound-healing properties
- Chlorophyll has been studied for its potential in stimulating tissue growth, in stimulating red blood cells in connection with oxygen supply, and in reducing absorption of dietary carcinogens.
- Benefits the Immune System - Those receiving the barley leaf extract exhibited a statistically significant increase in the percentage of their leukocytes
- Cancer benefit implications
Now you know some of the reasons why researchers have found young barley grass to be one of the most nutritious plants on earth.
Why not see how BarleyLife® and BarleyLife® Xtra works for your family?
To learn more about this nutritious green powder, Click Here.
Related: "Studies, Clinical Trials and Papers of Green Barley Leaves and Juice Extracts"